Who we are
CCD Bangladesh is a Communication and Journalism based non-profit, non-government knowledge centre working in the northern region of Bangladesh. It was established in 1999 by the endeavor of some self-motivated professionals of diverse working areas with a common premise of understating.
Since the time of its inception, CCD Bangladesh has been sincerely working for free flow of information, free press, free speech and free sprit of all the people. The organization is committed to utilize the full power and potential of information and communication media for human and social gods and egalitarian society. It is a resource centre that works for ensuring effective use of the mass media and information to achieve good governance, women empowerment and gender equity in all level and a progressive, free and egalitarian society. It is also working for human resources development and enhancement of professional skills of journalists, development activists and other professionals of its working areas.
To achieve its set objectives CCD Bangladesh organizes trainings, workshops, seminars, symposiums, conducts research works and publishes reports and books related to communication, journalism, gender, environmental and other socio-economic development issues.
CCD Bangladesh is committed to utilize the power and potentials of information and communication media to create a climate that ensures human rights and equitable development for all, enhances peace, democracy and coexistence. It envisages to utilize communication for social good and intends to mean development as a means of human well-being.
The mission of CCD Bangladesh is to utilize the full potential of information and communication media for peoples’ sustainable development and to bring integrity among different professionals to use this combined force for people’s development purposes.
The basic objective of CCD Bangladesh is to ensure availability of all necessary information and use all the available means to meet the peoples’ development needs through appropriate programmatic actions. Specifically the objectives are as follows:
- To establish an effective two way and participatory information and communication system for equitable and holistic development of all level of people.
- To develop skills of the media practitioners and professionals so that information technology and mass media are used optimally for peoples’ development.
- To increase the inter-relationship among development workers, media practitioners and other professionals to ensure sustainable development.
- To conduct communication and social research on necessary areas and publish the results.
- To empower women and to ensure their human rights and help protect the rights children and handicaps and to stop violence against them.
- To build-up alternative social organizations for eradicating poverty and to empower the poor, under privileged and the backward people.
- To enhance inner potentials of the reference people to help them to come-up as the key actors of the development process.
- To work to reduce psychological insecurity of the religious and ethnic minorities and to better people’s culture and human rights situation.
- To develop communication and BCC materials, training manuals, modules and play active advocacy roles to stop abuse of drugs, child labor and married, spread of STD/HIV/AIDS, arsenic contamination and other social problem.
- To create a welfare fund for the working journalists, development workers, poor women and the handicaps.