Our Achievements since 1999
Media and Journalism Program:
The key goal of CCD is to enhance the professional efficiency and skills of journalists and build capacity of local media so that they can play effective and vital roles for social goods and human well-being. In this regard, the major achievements of CCD are as follows;
- CCD has been playing significant role in enhancing the professional efficiency and skills of the journalists working in the northern region through arranging different training courses, workshops and orientation programs in the district and sub-district levels. Almost 70% journalists of the region took part in these programs. As a result the professional skill and quality of the journalists working in the northern region is much better than that of journalists of other region.
- CCD successfully arranged a number of training, workshops and orientation courses for young people and most of the participants are now working with regional and national newspapers and TV channels.
- CCD succeeded in encouraging journalists to conduct media campaign and media advocacy against human trafficking through arranging training course on the issue.
- For the first time in Bangladesh, CCD initiated AIDS Journalism trend in the country and CCD has already trained up 500 journalists on HIV/AIDS issues in the northern region of the country. Through these training programs CCD succeeded in forming Anti-AIDS Journalists Alliance (AJA). As a result, journalists of the northern region actively took part in the rally and meeting in the street on HIV/AIDS awareness issues and they are still providing extensive media coverage on the issue.
- For the first time at the local level in Bangladesh, CCD initiated Community Journalism trend among the indigenous people in the country and for this purpose CCD has already arranged a long-term community journalism training course where 30 indigenous people of northern region took part.
- For the first time at the local level in Bangladesh, CCD initiated Economic Journalism trend in the country and for this purpose developed a training manual on the issue. Moreover CCD has already trained up 300 journalists on Economic and Trade Reporting in the northern region of the country. Through these training programs CCD succeeded in forming Economic Journalists Network (EJ Net). As a result, professional skill of the journalists on Economic and Trade Reporting increased much more than that of journalists of other region.
- For the first time out side of Dhaka, CCD successfully arranged TV Journalism and Production training. Most participants are now working in several TV channels
- CCD successfully arranged two Radio Journalism and Production training courses. Most participants of these training courses are actively involved in producing radio programs for CCD.
- CCD successfully arranged a number of training courses, workshops and orientations for the media owners and journalists on election, human trafficking, environment, arsenic, gender, good governance, human rights etc. related reporting.
One of the key goals of CCD is to utilize the full power and potential of audio-visual media to make mass people aware on several socio-economic development issues. In this regard, the major achievements of CCD are as follows;
- CCD successfully used the Government controlled radio in broadcasting talk show series from Rajshahi and Rangpur radio centres to create mass awareness on HIV/AIDS issues. CCD has done all activities including taking permission of the Government, program recording, editing, presentation etc for the radio talk shows.
- CCD successfully produced and broadcast magazine programs from Rajshahi radio centres on local economic and trade related issues.
- CCD is now producing a series of women related magazine programs
- CCD successfully produced and broadcast feature programs from Rajshahi radio centres on local impact and success of micro credit
- CCD successfully produced an audio CD on folk and traditional songs.
- CCD successfully produced a number of video documentaries on various issues and broadcast it thorough multi media projector among the communities.
- CCD successfully arranged hundred of community video shows in northern region on HIV/AIDS, safer sex, gender, women empowerment, youth development and human rights issues.
- CCD has planned to establish community audio-visual media centres in Rajshahi region of Bangladesh in near future.
Press Freedom and Right to Information Program:
One of the key goals of CCD is to ensure free flow of information and right to information and freedom of press and journalists as well. In this sector, foremost successes of CCD are given below;
- CCD successfully developed some recommendation for amending Right to Information Act 2008 and submitted it to Government and Ministry of Information.
- Since the time of its inception, CCD has been working for ensuring right to information of mass people in northern region of Bangladesh. For this purpose, CCD arranged a number of consultations, advocacy meetings and workshops, dialogues, seminars, exhibition, human chains, rallies etc.
- CCD has been successfully arranging effective events such as dialogues, seminars, exhibition, human chains, rallies etc. on the occasion of World Press Freedom Day since the time of its inception.
- CCD has been regularly monitoring violence against journalists and media in northern region of Bangladesh and publishing its reports.
- CCD has been working in northern region of Bangladesh as the key agent for ensuring freedom of press and journalists.